Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

common sense comes to an overly pc world

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs
View previous topic : View next topic  

feef
Energiser Bunny

PostPosted: 12:53 - 22 Mar 2006    Post subject: common sense comes to an overly pc world Reply with quote

from Reuters:
https://tinyurl.com/o47gh

"A girl lost a legal battle on Wednesday to be allowed to wear full Islamic dress in school in a case which has been likened to the row in France over the wearing of Muslim headscarves."

bit of common sense imho, and not too much PC stuff for a change.. the school had a strict dress policy, which the family knew when they sent the girl there. Nice to see they school isn't being forced to change their policy, moreso because it's not (afaik) a private school.

a

WR450_geezer
Nobody likes me

PostPosted: 16:23 - 22 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

About time. There was that girl recently, last year maybe who took a school (In England) to court as they wouldn't let her wear her head scarf and she won. What a joke.

WR

WishayKillie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:52 - 22 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

At last the Human Rights lawers dont get their own way Thumbs Up . Apperently the school is 75% Muslim and thay are aloud to wear their head scarves but she just wants to to take it further. The reason their are uniform policies are to forge a sense of belonging and comunity within the school so that everybody is the same and there can be no discrimination. Why the hell do some Muslims seem to think that they should be treated any differt from the rest of us? If we were over in a midlle eastern country run my Muslim law do you think that they would let women run about in skirts and revealing clothes that they find comfortable, would they fuck because to expose your flesh is a bloody offence and they would be flogged, beheaded, shot or what ever they do in they backward countries!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

WR450_geezer
Nobody likes me

PostPosted: 17:16 - 22 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

WishayKillie wrote:
If we were over in a midlle eastern country run my Muslim law do you think that they would let women run about in skirts and revealing clothes that they find comfortable, would they fuck because to expose your flesh is a bloody offence and they would be flogged, beheaded, shot or what ever they do in they backward countries!

I've always thought about that, I think when they live over here it should be, heres your Nike air maxes and £50 for New Look now feck off!

WR

Harold_Shand
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:27 - 22 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye...

I think there will be more of this type of news to come as the swing from left to right continues.

Time to put the hippies, and those who have been given a false impression of the world by them, in a box for a few years.

Harold_Shand's theory might be the best explanation.

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller

PostPosted: 18:39 - 22 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the school uniform conforms to the dress requirements then I don't see why anyone should be exempt from wearing it.

The school I went to was selective, and therefore if someone didn't comply to the uniform policy they could be asked to leave. However, it was allowed to be adapted for Muslim girls who could wear silk trousers (as long as they were navy) under their regulation knee length A-line skirt, and a headscarf (navy of course).

No jewellry (religious or otherwise) was allowed, nor was makeup and everyone had to tie their hair back.

I could not agree more with WishayKillie. A uniform does forge a sense of community and belonging and a school should be a community.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

zaknafien

PostPosted: 20:01 - 22 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4832072.stm

The girl in england just lost too.

Thumbs Up

feef
Energiser Bunny

PostPosted: 20:33 - 22 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zak: same story, different news source Smile

a

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 22:03 - 22 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"I had to make a stand about this. Many women will not speak up about what they actually want.

"I still don't see why I was told to go home from school when I was just practising my religion.

"I'm just a teenager - not many teenagers go out there and challenge the system."

She said the shalwar kameez (trousers and tunic) which Denbigh High School allows Muslim pupils to wear, "did not satisfy Islamic clothing".

Isnt this bit slightly contradictory from the admittedly little I understand how country's where the Muslim religion is used as the main source of law?

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 22:32 - 22 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The simply fact of the matter was that she chose to go to a school where she knew the uniform code was not in line with her personal beliefs.

I seem to remember a previous Telegraph story that stated she actually attended the school for some time before suddenly slapping on the full hibab monty. There was some talk of her rather extremist brother influencing her, and then pushing her into taking this through the courts.

A ridiculous waste of money.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

feef
Energiser Bunny

PostPosted: 10:55 - 23 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

can anyone else see the irony that she is standing up for the rights of women to do and wear what they wish, in a religion that often opresses the woman's right to anything. The only reason she has the right to challenge anything is because she's living in a non-muslim country

a

RobB
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 11:14 - 23 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heard her interviewed on the radio last night, she seemed to have no comprehension as to why she'd "lost" her case. Said she might take it to the European court if she fancied it, and kept saying how it was great that she'd actually tried to stand up for herself. Every time the interviewer asked her another question, she kept saying how young people need to take action, and make their voices heard. True, but it's a right that shouldn't be taken for granted.

As she lost the case, did she have to pay the costs of the defence?

I also don't like the wearing of clothes, or anything that superficial to be needed to be done for religious reasons. If you believe in a god, it seems strange to me to think that he/she would be petty enough to complain about your wardrobe on judgement day.

The final thing that struck me as interesting from this case, was the fact that it was a predominantly Muslim school, with a Muslim head ordering the uniforms to be compulsory. Sadly, I think a less-brave, or just non-Muslim head would have let the girl do what she wanted for fear of being accused of racism.

Skunkcap Freddie
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:39 - 23 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i seen her talking to a reporter on the news.

she looked and sounded like she was doing it out of spite.

About fooking time they refused it afraid of saying no in the past incase they are called racists
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 11:39 - 23 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feef that’s a wicked post mate…. Thumbs Up

LOL
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 16:04 - 23 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If she looked out the window past her very well treated family, human rights and private education she’d see that as a Muslim teenager who can talk freely about sex with mates, wear high heals in that jihab thing and carries herself as a woman of today, she is extremely lucky
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 75 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1